THE CONSTANT URGE TO IMPRESS OTHERS

A friend of mine bought an expensive SUV last year. At the time, I had asked him whether it was really necessary for him to spend so much on a car that he wouldn’t use that often. For which he said that everybody would be so impressed by his expensive SUV. For a year or so, all his posts on social media were filled up the pictures of the car at different places.

 

A year later now, when  I asked him about his car, he said that the maintenance and running costs are very expensive and that he is regretting his decision of buying an SUV. It has become a liability in his life. He further said that he should have opted for a smaller car that would have been more suitable to his city lifestyle.

 

Similarly, another friend of mine bought a flat couple of years ago at an expensive location in Bangalore. Although not big enough for comfort, it was very expensive because of its locality. I had told him that he should buy a bigger home which was just a bit further from the newly bought flat and it would have been more comfortable. The area was also good too. But, he said that its location is not as posh as the one he had chosen and everyone will be impressed by the one which he bought. Today, he doesn’t have enough space to keep his household things and regretting his earlier decision.

 

In both the above cases, my friends took a wrong decision in the influence of impressing others. We often do the same mistakes too. We have this constant urge of impressing others even at the cost of our necessity and comfort. We all subconsciously have this eager to get attention and impress others.  We crave for the approval of others even when we make the best decision for ourselves.

 

I often see this urge to impress others more on social media. People try to evaluate themselves based on the number of likes and followers. They pretend to be someone else that they are not just because of fear of not getting many likes. But is it really worth it to get more likes for what you are not than be your true self?

 

Time and again, many of my friends ask me that although I travel a lot and take a lot of pictures of beautiful places, why I don’t share these things on social media. To them I say, I travel because I love it and not to impress anybody. The photos are for my memories. I evaluate my tours based on the new experiences that I gained through them and never worried about thinking about what can I post about them. Call me old fashioned but, this how I am.

 

I don’t care about the lives of random people on the internet. What’s important to me is the lives of the people present in my life. You may be wondering why I even have social media accounts. It’s just to stay in touch with those whom I have lost contact along the way. Everybody else is in my contact list.

 

Be your true self. Your life doesn’t get better by posting on social media. The likes and followers in the virtual world will not change anything in your real one. No matter how good or bad, sing, dance, draw, write, ride, drive, travel, or perhaps spend time with your loved ones. Do more of what makes you happy.

 

Wish you happiness and peace.

 

Until next time... Ciao...

Comments

  1. Very true hasige eedh asthu kalu chachu

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so apt and well said. We, the current generation are too much immersed into plethora of social media networks. These have become the source of stress, depression, and anxiety among the youth. This should change !!!. By the way, Good work 🙌

    ReplyDelete
  3. True. Never waste life impressing others. We should live to impress our positive inner self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True. Never waste life impressing others. We should live to impress our positive inner self.

    Pushpa Dayanand

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slightly disagree. man is a social animal. you can not survive by eating drinking etc alone. emotional stimuli also required." like "" is also a stimulas.
    But in pursuit of social approval greater or other equqlyy important things should not get jeopardised.
    Do overall cost benefit analysis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir. Social approval will definitely stimulate a person. But, what I see in our generation is that in the urge of impressing others, we are forgetting the greater things in life. If a person do his/her best in what they do, social appreciation will naturally follow.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Theory of Relativity

Wherever Life Plants You, Bloom With Grace